Love Rocks

This is not about a rock or a pop group. It is about a project born out of tragedy.  Susan and her husband started the Love Rocks project after losing their two daughters Anna and Abby in a tragic accident on October 20,2013. Even though they were devastated by the loss they chose to keep the fun and joyous sprite of their daughters alive by making Love Rocks and sending them out for all who need love.

I found my Love Rock at my workplace at Bellevue WA, left for someone to find it. That someone happened to be me. I suspect it was left by a special Olympic athlete who was competing in the USA Special Olympics competition held in Seattle in June 2018. When I found the rock I had no idea what it was. It had a cut fabric in a shape of a heart glued on a shiny black river rock. Lucky Love Rocks were written on the back of the stone and I googled it. What I found is a touching story of tragedy and love. I saw that the parents who had to endure the greatest tragedy that any parent can go through, came up with an idea to celebrate their daughters' life and lift themselves out of grief. They chose that their girls should not be defined by tragedy but by the joy and love they had when they were alive.  They wanted to have other people find Joy and Love that their daughters had and what is more appropriate than a simple river rock with a heart shape glued on to it. 

Today Love Rocks are shared by many throughout the world and the memory of  Anna&Abby lives on.  After learning about this I decided to have a photo project on Love Rocks before I  too leave the rock where someone else can find it and keep on sharing the love. I took my Love Rock to downtown Seattle and took pictures of my rock with Seattle skyline as background and wherever my imagination took me. I walked with my rock to different places and shot and shot. After taking hundreds of pictures it was time for me too to share the joy and love. I carefully placed the Love Rock on at the bottom of a street sign took my last picture of it and left. It had been a wonderful photo project but it was also more than a photo project it was a lesson in sharing the love. I was not only taking pictures of the rock, I was thinking too. Tragedy may shatter your hopes but if you don't let yourself be defined by it you will always find Joy and Love even it is in a small thing like a Love Rocks Rock. You don't have to search hard you have got Joy and Love everywhere all you have to do is feel it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection of a Half Century

Birthday Portrait and Story

Houseless