Dead Flower

I didn't like dead flowers but they fascinated me at the same time. The reason I hated them is it reminded me of the last hours of my mothers' life. My mother was gasping her last breaths lying unconscious in the Intensive Care Unites of Black Lion  Hospital. Close to her hospital bed on the dresser, there is a bouquet of dead flowers in a vase which someone brought earlier in the week as a good gesture( of course they didn't bring the dead flowers but the flowers died and no one bothered to replace them or through them away).  I sat next to her watching her and watching the dead flowers which were in a way were there as a symbol of life's end. End of my mother's life. Hours later my mother passed away. I wish she had died without suffering but that was not the case she died in pain and it had been more painfully for people who know her and who were close to her.
From that time on dead flowers to me is death but what is the meaning of life without death. Even if we don't like death it is a fact of life without death life would not be complete life would be meaningless without a start and an end. That is where my fascination with dead flowers come. Even though you might see no beauty in a dead flower, dead flowers have their own beauty as a blossoming flower has its own. Most of all dead flowers will certainly show the beauty of life's continuity. When the flower dies under it the fruit of life comes guaranteeing the continuity of the species.
Even though I hated dead flowers because I associated them with a loss which was inevitable due to the fact of life. I came to terms to appreciate the least appreciated stage of a flower because it is part of a life cycle which makes life go on like clockwork. I think society should come out of making death as a tragedy especially death after a long fulfilled life on this planate. We celebrate the birth and many life events of family and friends but when we come to another important life event of death we stop on our tracks. We might not be able to celebrate death at any moment but we should be able to acknowledge it as an important part of the life cycle of all living things and take it gracefully without marking every death as a tragedy.
I don't remember my mother as a tragedy or how she died or even her last days in a hospital bed. I remember her as a mother, a kind person and all the little things she did to make me a better person. It would not be fair to her life on earth just considering her as a family tragedy who died on a relatively young age. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection of a Half Century

Birthday Portrait and Story

Houseless