Photographing My Moments

Why do I take pictures? A simple answer is I take pictures simply to be in the moment. On the picture above, you have a clock with time at 4:09:09. After I took the shot the clock turned to be 4:09:10. The time captured on the picture will not be repeated again forever. We will have the same time after 24 hours but it is a totally different time because it is on another day. The moment that I have captured will not be repeated again. That is exactly why I take pictures, to capture moments while I am present in them too. That moment will not repeat because everything evolves and nothing is permanent.  Photography helps me to be at that moment since I too will be evolving every second.

In Japan's Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, there is a watch that stopped working at the exact time the Atomic Bombe dropped over Hiroshima exploded seventy-four years ago at the end of the second world war. Because the watch stopped working at the exact moment it is now an important exhibit in a very important place which shows the devastation of war. If the watch hasn't stopped working at the exact time or if it had stopped after or before, even if it is still working it would be just an old watch someone's grandfather wore seventy-four years ago not an important museum exhibit. 

When I take pictures like the old watch in Hiroshima's peace museum I find myself present at the exact moment and I believe my pictures reflect that too because consciously or subconsciously they are the reflection of me at that moment. If I take the same picture again at a different time it might look the same but it is totally a new picture reflecting a slightly different me in a different moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection of a Half Century

Birthday Portrait and Story

Houseless