Photographing Music

 

I think making and appreciating music is one of the important characteristics to be human. Every society and community in the world makes and appreciates music. Most cultures use it as a way to express themself as an individual or collectively as a clan, tribe, race, etc whatever a group of people wants to categorize themself. 

Capturing moments of people creating music in my pictures is important because I am able to freeze the moment of an artistic expression. Photos are static and music is dynamic but they can still reflect the dynamics of sound rhythms you find in music. Photos might not be able to capture the sound of a horn instrument but they can capture the energy and intensity of the artist blowing the horn. That is what I look for when I take a picture of a musician on stage. 

They are thousands and thousands of amateur and professional concert photographers in the world who specialize in photographing musicians on stage. Some are hired to take pictures to record the event as event photographers while others take pictures as an art project. I am sure they all agree with me that shooting concerts and generally people making music is never short of interesting subjects. Music is one of the tools that bring out the real person and noting is more rewarding than taking pictures of artists who are deep in the moment of creating and sharing their passion. I am not a concert or music photographer but I enjoy taking photos of music being made while I appreciate the music at the same time. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection of a Half Century

Birthday Portrait and Story

Houseless